Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dream Come True

Here is my story from the "beginning"...


Once Cinderella finds her Prince Charming the Happily Ever After begins! :-) In many ways I have been blessed to have a very good start to my happily ever after. My husband and I have each other and our dream jobs and home... these things took effort to attain but patience, dreaming, hard work and a bit of luck played into achieving what we wanted. We hoped that starting our family would be a fun filled and happy next step in our adventure together. Unfortunately our journey has been rougher than we anticipated and with an "unexplained infertility" diagnosis and an early miscarriage under our belts we hoped that somehow things would still work out. We finally decided to go the IVF route upon the recommendation of our fertility doctor and it worked the FIRST time! (Talk about a sigh of relief both financially and emotionally). At the very first ultrasound (which I think was week five) we discovered it was TWINS!! Oh. My. Goodness! Ask my husband, somehow I always thought that would happen if we went this route. I was, needless to say, a bit freaked out... but also very, very happy.

The next few weeks included weekly ultrasounds with my fertility doctor. One of the sacs seemed small and he thought there was a significant chance it might not make it. However - by the time we reached week nine and my fertility doctor passed me back to my regular OBGYN - he thought both babies were doing fine. After my husband and I left that ultrasound, in which the babies looked like gummi bears, we both felt elated and scared. So it's really going to be twins... what are we going to do?! We told our families who were beyond excited for us. A couple weeks later we started telling friends and then another couple weeks later we told the world via facebook. I announced I had "not one but TWO buns in the oven!" During the first fifteen weeks I was feeling pretty miserable. I felt nauseous 24/7 and didn't like the thought of eating anything at all. It wasn't just a few different foods that didn't appeal to me - all food became distasteful. The only thing I seemed able to eat was fruit, toast, and scrambled eggs. That was my diet for about six weeks. Unfortunately my migraines increased and I was already experiencing trouble sleeping. Through all the uncomfortable physical symptoms, I was also feeling scared. These feelings were hanging around due to my previous miscarriage. I knew from the ultrasounds and hearing their strong heartbeats that my babies were doing fine and words can't describe the immediate love and excitement I had at seeing and hearing my wonderful babies. But I always had a nervous feeling hovering just behind my heart and keeping me from being one hundred percent happy.

I started getting very excited as my week 18 ultrasound got closer because hopefully we were going to find out the sex of the babies. My husband had a feeling we were having two girls all along while I was never willing to make a guess. We were having a level two, detailed ultrasound and a consultation with a high risk doctor. By the time we arrived at the doctor office I was a wreck both physically and emotionally. Physically because I had to drink all that water before the ultrasound so I could barely sit still and emotionally because I was so anxious to see the babies and make sure they were still doing well and beyond excited to find out what we were having. When my husband and I finally got ushered into the room the woman performing the ultrasound took about a half hour looking at every part of Baby B before finally showing us the evidence that Baby B was a girl!! Then another half hour later we learned Baby A was also a girl!! I can't even tell you how OVER THE MOON I was at this news... I think I would have been just as elated over boys but in my heart of hearts I had secretly wanted two little princesses!! We met with the high risk doctor following our ultrasound and he basically told us everything looked perfect. When we left that ultrasound I felt one hundred percent happiness and I think it was then I unconsciously let go of the little nagging fear that had been hanging over me.

The next couple weeks I dedicated to finally working on my baby registry. I read my Baby Bargains book and spent time asking my little sister and friends questions and asking for advice. My baby bump was really showing because with twins I was bigger than I would be with a single baby. I had bought some maternity sweaters and shirts and friends had given me some of their old maternity clothes and I borrowed clothes from others. My husband took the first pictures of me with my baby bump in our backyard and I was beaming with happiness!! I started rubbing my belly and began talking to the girls a little bit. One night I swear I finally felt them moving - a lot of fluttering was going on! I picked a theme for the baby nursery... lambs! We had taken a trip to Ireland the previous spring and I had fallen in love with lambs and routinely gave my husband heart attacks as I'd jump out of a slightly moving car when I saw them because I wanted to take pictures. ;-) It seemed only appropriate to decorate the nursery with lambs as I was soon going to have my own precious little lambs!


No comments:

Post a Comment